How To Make a Cappuccino at Home
Originally from Italy, a cappuccino is one of the most popular coffee drinks in the UK. With its perfect balance of espresso, steamed milk and frothed milk, which results in a rich, but mildly sweet taste, it’s no wonder so many want to learn how to make a cappuccino from the comfort of their own home.
How To Make a Cappuccino
It’s never been easier to impress your guests with this coffee shop style treat. What’s more, You don’t need any fancy equipment to make it. Follow our simple steps below to learn how to make a cappuccino at home.
- Your favourite instant coffee (we recommend NESCAFÉ GOLD Espresso)
- Milk or milk alternative (to taste)
- Sugar (to taste)
- A topping such as chocolate sprinkles, cinnamon, cocoa powder, or ground nutmeg
- Boil a cup of water in your kettle and add 2 teaspoons of your chosen instant coffee to your cappuccino cup. If you have sugar in your coffee, add it to taste here.
- After the water has boiled, add to your cappuccino cup, so it is about 1/3 full.
- Measure out the milk so it is about 1/3 of the cup.
- Now, you need to steam the milk. Grab a saucepan and your thermometer, add the desired amount of milk and then heat it slowly on a medium heat, stirring from time to time to ensure it doesn’t boil. If you’re using dairy milk, it will need to reach 65°C, 60°C for soy or 54°C for almond.
- Pour the steamed milk over your coffee.
- Now you’ve steamed your milk, you’ll need to froth milk too! Again, measure out 1/3 of your cup for milk. Choose from the two options listed below to froth your milk.
- Then add the foamed milk to your cappuccino cup and sprinkle over your topping.
- Sit back, relax and enjoy!
How to froth milk with a milk frothing wand:
- Put the milk into a saucepan again, and then place the frothing wand so it’s half way into the milk.
- Turn on your frothing wand and pull it toward the surface of the milk slowly, then lower it down to the middle again, continue this process for around 30 to 45 seconds, or until the milk’s nice and foamy.
How to froth milk without a milk frothing wand:
- If you don’t have a frothing wand, there’s no need to worry! You can do it in the microwave too. Grab a jar (jam jars are best) and fill it around half way with milk and screw the lid on.
- Once you’ve done this, carefully give it a good shake until the milk’s frothy.
- Then, remove the lid carefully and put it in the microwave to heat for 30 seconds, uncovered.
NESCAFÉ GOLD Frothy Coffee range
If you need something even more instant, why not try our NESCAFÉ GOLD Cappuccino? Simply add water to the sachet, stir and you’re good to go! We also have a decaf cappuccino for those who want less caffeine content, and even an unsweetened version for those who prefer their coffees without sugar.
Now you know how to make a cappuccino at home, why not learn how to make a mocha too?